Alumni Association Scholarship for Undergraduate Students
The Western Alumni Association is proud to offer Western students the opportunity to receive the WWU Alumni Association Scholarship for Undergraduate Students. Recipients of this honor are students who are making a difference in their communities, and contributing greatly to Western by actively participating in the life of the university.
Western Alumni are world leaders, and many credit this success to their Western experience. We know that as a Western student you are destined to join this successful alumni community, so the graduates of our university want to help you succeed … and one way is through student scholarships support.
For the 2019-2020 academic year, the WWU Alumni Association will be giving out 60 - $1,000 scholarships!
The 2020 WWU Alumni Association Mid- Year Scholarship for Undergraduate Students application is now OPEN.
Five - $1,000 scholarships will be awarded and distributed Spring quarter 2020.
2020 Mid-Year Scholarship Minimum Qualifications
Applicants must be one of the following:
- Full time Western student (taking a minimum of 12 credits)
- High school senior intending to become a full time Western student beginning Winter 2020
- College transfer intending to become a full time Western student beginning Winter 2020
GPA minimum cumulative:
- Currently in college - GPA of 3.10
- Currently in high school - GPA of 3.50
- Applicants must be pursuing undergraduate study
- Applicants must be admitted to Western to receive the scholarship
- Applicants must submit FAFSA for scholarship consideration*
- Applicants need not be related to or know any alumni to apply
*International or undocumented students may apply, please follow the instructions within the application.
- This is a need-based scholarship to fill need, not exceed it
- Preference will be given to those with financial need
- Active students within their community, who participate in leadership building activities, provide service to others, and succeed academically
- Supplemental Information and Questions: Complete the application and additional questions.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- You can either upload the letters or you can send a direct request to your reference. To send a direct request, follow the instructions in the application when you get to the letters of recommendation section.
- You must obtain two current letters of recommendation. As an example, you could have one letter that is academic related and one letter that is personal. Or you could have two letters that are academic.
- Letters of recommendation must be submitted with your completed application. Letters of recommendation not received with the completed application will be considered incomplete and will not be accepted. Failure to follow the instructions below regarding the letter of recommendation requirements may result in your application not being accepted.
- Letters must be signed by the individual writing the letter (it can't be a typed signature).
- It is recommended that the the letter be printed on letterhead (but not required).
- The date must be on the letter and the letters must be current (within the last six months from December 2019).
- Letters MUST be received by the deadline, no exceptions will be made.
- There are many options for the individual writing the letter to use an esign software (if needed) to sign the letter before uploading it. There are quite a few esign software options out there that are FREE. A few when you search are DocuSign, Adobe, SignNow. We are not saying these are the best options but letting you know that there are esign options to ensure your letters are signed per the application requirement. We recommend that either you or the person signing the document research the best software to use (if needed).
- Transcripts: Submit your college or high school transcript showing your cumulative GPA. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Transcripts not received with the completed application will be considered incomplete and will not be accepted.
- Documents must be either PDF or Word (PDF is preferred). DO NOT submit a JPG, PNG, or Pages document.
Questions about the scholarship program should be directed to Jeniene Bengtsson at (360) 650-6460 or Jeniene.Bengtsson@wwu.edu.
Click on the links below to view current and past scholarship recipients.